A comprehensive resource for safe and responsible laser use
India: UPDATED - 200+ students have eye problems after New Years Eve laser light show
After the “read more” link are more stories, plus speculation that the cause might be ultraviolet light, or chemical irritation from fog or smoke.
NYE laser show leaves 200 students in Andhra with eye irritation
The children's eyes began watering and had turned red when they got up the next morning.
Around 40 students of a private school in Andhra Pradesh's Parvathipuram village in Vizianagaram district had to be given medical treatment, after their eyes began to swell on Monday morning [January 1 2018].
The 40 students, along with 200 others, began complaining of irritation and pain in their eyes, after they were reportedly exposed to lights and lasers during a show, as part of the school's New Year's Eve celebrations.
The children's eyes began watering, and had turned red when they got up the next morning.
As the children began complaining, worried parents staged a protest and demanded answers from the school.
Following this, doctors rushed to the school and administered first-aid, before assuring those who had gathered, that the kids would not lose eyesight.
“We prescribed eye drops and ointment for the affected children,” a doctor told the Times of India.
Meanwhile, Vizianagaram district Collector Vivek Yadav was informed of the incident, and directed the Revenue Divisional Officer (RDO) of Parvathipuram, P Sudarsan Dora, to visit the school along with Mandal Educational Officer P Krishna Murthy.
Circle Inspector G Rambabu also visited the school along with the officials, and spoke to the children, to collect more details regarding the case. Further details are awaited.
Click the “read more” link to see additional updated stories, plus speculation on the possible cause. Click to read more...
Norway: Children's show defies authorities, uses lasers in performance
The zoo had previously applied to the Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority (NRPA) for approval to use the glove, and for exemption from labeling and classification requirements. The request was rejected.
However, the zoo went ahead with the production.
In a September 17 2014 story, Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang (VG) quoted NRPA staffer, Sindre Øvergaard, who attended a performance in July 2014. He said it swept over the audience three times: “I and my partner got it right in the eye. We noticed there was a very bright light, and it hurt a little.”
Since he had been involved in the zoo’s original application to NRPA, Øvergaard told VG “that they [the zoo] took it to use is simply indefensible.”
The case was reported to the police. The zoo says a subcontractor told them the glove (shown below) was approved.
From Verdens Gang. Google translation into English is here. Wikipedia is the source of the information about Kristiansand Zoo’s popularity. Thanks to Jan Ringen for bringing this to our attention.