A comprehensive resource for safe and responsible laser use
Laser pointer usage tips
There are nine pages in this section:
- NEVER aim at aircraft - Do not aim lasers at aircraft; it is unsafe for pilot vision and is illegal.
- Why laser beams seem to end - - A person aiming a laser into the night sky will see the beam as if it ends. While it may look as if the beam cannot reach an aircraft, this is wrong — the beam never ends. This page explains why.
- Don’t aim at head & eyes - Do not aim lasers towards anyone’s head or eyes; it is harassing and hazardous.
- Tips for star pointing - Don’t aim at a star (it could be an aircraft), circle it instead.
- Tips for garden/holiday “star” projectors - Don’t aim these projectors, which are sold primarily for Christmas house decorations, into the sky. Keep them on the house and ground.
- Tips for bird dispersal - Lasers can be used to break up and disperse nuisance birds, but it needs to be done right.
- Tips for using lasers with animals - Lasers are not only an eye hazard to pets and wildlife. They can also stress a pet who can never “catch” the light.
- Safe outdoor laser shows - Laser light shows have not been a problem in this century.
- Emergency signaling lasers - Description of some lasers which are legal to aim at aircraft and vehicles in an emergency rescue situation.