A comprehensive resource for safe and responsible laser use
Laser pointer safety technical information
This section contains the following pages:
- Beam diameter & irradiance calculator — An online calculator for determining the beam diameter and irradiance, at a specified distance
- Laser hazard distance calculator — An online calculator for determining the NOHD, ED50, and three FAA visual interference distances (Sensitive, Critical and Laser Free zones).
- Laser hazard distance equations — Details about the hazard distances, and the equations used to calculate the distances.
- Laser hazard distances chart — How far away a beam can be an eye injury hazard, or a visual interference hazard, or a skin burn hazard, or a materials burn hazard — for selected consumer lasers.
- Laser hazard Classes chart — All about Classes 1, 1M, 2, 2M, 3R, 3B and 4 which are used to warn about a laser’s potential hazards
- 1-page “instant” LSO course — Brief discussion and link to an excellent page from the U.S. OSHA, about laser hazards. It summarizes the topics covered in a typical Laser Safety Officer course.
Info and studies on laser safety …
Also, see our pages on laser/aviation hazard studies, which include research papers done by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and other experts